A Weathercaster's journal

Thursday, September 23, 2004

Journal

"Texoma Speak"
Part One

I've lived in Texoma(Western North Texas & Southwest Oklahoma) all but 9 years of my life (1st 6 years of childhood in Kansas, 3 years in the U.S. Navy). If there's one thing that I'll never get tired of here is the unique vocabulary. Like terms of endearment you hear in public places. I was in a restuarant the other day when a customer finished a sentence calling her female server "puddin'". I couldn't help but grin from the corner booth. Puddin'.... a creamy, custard-like dessert usually served in small portions. I thought "how cute" in kind of an old fashioned sense. I wonder what the 20 something server thought? Nowadays (among my generation) a name like 'puddin' may be reseved for a family member or close friend.
Of course, our vocab isn't different just because of colorful terms of endearment. Oh no! Verbs and adjectives galore!

One of my faves is "rooint". You know "I left my car window open when it rained and my notebook got rooint(ruined)".

How about "frog strangler"? That's what ya get when heavy rain begins to pool on the roads.

Stay tuned for more!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home