A Weathercaster's journal

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Journal

Fillin' in for "Megs"(Meghan Danahey) this week. I could get used to this shift. Get to sleep in, get the house to myself(just me and the dogs) for a few hours. Plus, there's not as much on-air time on this shift as there is in the mornings(save for severe weather). The only downside to working this shift is the only time I see my kids is in the mornings as they rush off to school. I get to see my wife only if she "waits up" for me. In the evenings, my wife has to play single parent. I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy. Parenthood is by far the toughest job I've ever had. But, I wouldn't have it any other way.

I recently read of a well-liked weathercaster in Detroit who turned down a 3year/$1 million contract and got out of the "biz" so he could be home with his children regularly. Now it would take me something like 30 years to make 1,000,000 dollars so I dont think I would turn down that kind of loot. The good lord knows we have some bills to pay. But I can certainly understand wanting to be there to take part in your children's lives. My son is two years old, and he's just flat out cute (chip off the ol' block). I keep tellin myself: "Self...you better dust off the cam-corder cause that 2 year old cutie will be all grown up before you know it!". I've heard too many grown-ups say "I wish I had been there see my kids grow up". I could very well be one of those grown-ups if I stay in this line of work. What else would I do? I play the drums, but that wont make me a livin...heck, I'd be gone in the evenings doin that too!

...hmmm...

When I get home I'm gonna dust off the cam-corder.


John Cameron

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home