A Weathercaster's journal

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

journal

I recently began reading a 500 page biography of Benjamin Franklin; a man whom has become an interest of mine since I became aware of his many accomplishments and how those accomplishments resonate in this modern world (as we approach what will be his 300th birthday in 2006). Not only was Ben a fascinating man (I've only made it to page 75), but he has said many things that ring true to me. So, for the next several days, if not weeks, I will be posting some quotes from Ben Franklin. I hope you find them as meaningful as I do.

Lets start with a quote that really doesn't need much set-up. Ben said this when, as a newspaper printer, he thought as to why people mind their manners. He was in his late 20s, and being fairly cynical at the time.

"...most people act virtuously not because of an inner goodness, but because they are afriad of public censure."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home